Codified Ordinances of the City of Hamilton, Ohio
977.07 PARK RULES AND REGULATIONS
The following rules and regulations shall be obeyed by all members of the public using municipal parks , playgrounds, recreational facilities and other lands open to the public under the municipality's jurisdiction:
(1) No person shall kindle, build, use or maintain a fire on City of Hamilton park lands, except small fires in grills for cooking purposes or fires in fireplaces.
(2) No person shall leave a fire unattended that he or she has started in either a grill or fireplace. All fires started shall be extinguished before leaving the area.
(3) Any person discarding a match, cigarette, cigar or other incendiary shall completely extinguish and dispose of it in a proper receptacle. Discarding these items on the ground shall be considered littering and appropriate penalties will apply.
(b) Preservation of Property and Plant Material.
(1) No person shall in any way damage, deface, destroy, or remove any part of a City of Hamilton owned facility, sign, equipment. or other property.
(2) No person shall damage, destroy, deface, or remove any part of any tree. flower, shrub or other vegetation.
(c) Alcoholic Beverages, Drugs, Opiates, Intoxicants. or Hallucinogenic Substances. Except as otherwise permitted at the Michael J. Colligan Lodge, the municipal golf courses and special events at the RiversEdge Park .
(1) No person, except an employee or agent of the City and in compliance with State Law, shall consume, possess, distribute or offer for sale, barter or gift any alcoholic beverage or intoxicating liquor within a park .
(2) No person shall use, possess, distribute or offer for sale any controlled substances or hallucinatory substances within a park .
(3) No person shall be under the influence of any alcoholic beverage or controlled substances while within a park .
(4) Except an employee or agent of the City and in compliance with State Law, no person under the age of 21 shall possess or consume any alcoholic beverage or intoxicating liquor within any City park , playground or recreational facility.
(d) Gambling and Schemes of Chance. No person shall organize, conduct or participate in schemes of chance (Bingo, Poker, etc) or any gambling in any form within a park .
(e) Garbage, Yard Waste and Foreign Materials.
(1) No person shall discard or dispose of, on City of Hamilton park property, any household garbage, yard waste or foreign materials generated outside of the park .
(2) Refuse, garbage and other residue of a picnic or other park activity shall be deposited in receptacles provided for that purpose.
(f) Speed Limit. No person shall operate a motor vehicle within or on City of Hamilton park property at a speed exceeding fifteen miles per hour (15 mph); except that if a different speed is set forth on a sign indicating a different speed limit, that limit shall be permitted.
(1) Dogs, cats and other household pets are permitted on park property only if the animal is controlled at all times, either in a cage or on a leash no longer than eight feet. Dogs and cats are not permitted on playgrounds, picnic areas, and flowerbeds or in buildings.
(2) Dog, cat or household pet feces must be immediately removed from City park , playground, golf courses and recreational facility areas by the person in control of the animal and disposed in a sanitary manner.
(3) No person shall abandon any animal on the City of Hamilton park property.
(h) Snowmobiles, All-Terrain Vehicles, Dirt Bikes. No person shall operate a snowmobile, all terrain vehicle (ATV), all purpose vehicle (APV), dirt bike, go-cart or any motorized bicycle, scooter or similar device except in areas designated for such purposes on City of Hamilton park property.
(i) Hours. The Park shall be open each day from dawn until dusk. No person shall enter onto or remain on park property other than during those hours listed herein without the prior written permission of the City of Hamilton.
(j) Rollerskates, Skate Boards, Rollerblades and Bicycles.
(1) No person is permitted to roller-skate, skate board or rollerblade on park drives, playgrounds, tennis courts, walkways or parking lots. This activity is restricted to the bike path and the skate park or other areas designated for such purposes.
(2) No person shall operate a bicycle on park walking trails, playgrounds, tennis courts or walkways. This activity is restricted to park drives, the bike path and the skate park .
(k) Hiking and Biking Trails.
(1) No person shall drive a motorized vehicle on any walking trail. Except for City of Hamilton employees while on duty, vehicles are restricted to paved roadways or drives and designated park areas except with the permission of the Director of Public Works.
(2) The hiking and biking trails, and adjacent nature trails and other natural areas shall be closed from dusk to dawn, year round. No person shall be on the hiking and biking trails and their adjacent areas during these hours except City of Hamilton employees on duty.
(l) Commercial Enterprises.
(1) No person shall offer for sale any article, privilege, service or subscription on park lands unless permitted in writing by the Director of Public Works.
(2) No person shall solicit collections or donations nor beg and hawk for any purpose on park property unless permitted in writing by the Director of Public Works.
(m) Reservation Rules and Regulations.
(1) Persons holding a reservation for a City of Hamilton Park shelter or building shall have use only for the time period set forth in the permit. The hours reserved shall include set-up and clean-up time.
(2) Any person holding a reservation permit for park shelters or buildings shall not invite, welcome, entertain, sponsor or serve host to a party, festivity, meeting or other organized activity where the total number of individuals in attendance exceeds the stated capacity of the facility per the reservation receipt.
(3) No person shall use a shelter or building reserved for another party without written permission of the Director of Public Works.
(4) Persons holding reservation permits are responsible for the physical condition of the facility reserved and overseeing the conduct of persons in attendance. Any damage to the facility or injury to persons or property during the period of said reservations shall be the responsibility of the person holding the reservation permit.
(5) Reservation permit holders' responsibilities involve overseeing the conduct of persons attending the function and condition of the facility reserved . Any damage or injury is the financial responsibility of the reservation holder.
(6) No person shall transfer tables and chairs owned by the City of Hamilton, from one room, area, building or shelter to another without written permission of the Director of Public Works.
(7) No persons shall misuse and/or abuse any facility of the City of Hamilton. Any violator will receive a written letter governing future reservations, which may include no further permits.
(n) Fireworks, Explosives, Weapons, Bows and Arrows. Except as otherwise permitted by the City in writing.
(1) No person, except law enforcement officers, shall carry, possess, discharge or have under their control any of the following on or within any City park , playground or recreational facility; air, gas, pellet, paintball or 88 guns; sling shots; fireworks; explosives; bows and arrows or any firearms of any description or other dangerous ordnance, unless said firearm is a handgun and said person possesses a valid State of Ohio Concealed Carry Permit.
(2) Reservation permit holder shall be liable for any of their guests or invitees who violate provisions of this Section.
(o) Disorderly Conduct. No person shall engage in disorderly conduct, as defined by Section 509.03 if the Codified Ordinances as may be amended from time to time, within any City park , playground or recreational facility.
(Ord. 2013-7-61. Passed 7-10-13.)
(p) (1) Parking . No person shall park a motor vehicle, trailer, motorcycle or any other vehicle on the park property except in locations designated by the Director of Public Works for such purposes.
(2) Parking Fees for Special Events at City Parks . The City Manager or his designee may, at their discretion, impose a parking fee for parking at special events in City parksas set forth in Section 353.19.
(Ord. 2012-10-83. Passed 10-24-12.)
(q) Garbage. No person shall deposit, permit, or allow to be deposited, in any part of a City park , playground or recreational facility, any garbage, ashes, sewage, refuse or any waste material whatsoever, other than in receptacles provided for such purposes.
(r) Advertisements. No person, except an employee or agent of the City of Hamilton, acting within the course and scope of his/her employment, shall place any advertisement, poster, sign, letter, handbill or placard of any description anywhere within a park , playground or recreational facility without the written authorization of the Director of Public Works.
(s) Penalties. In addition to any other process provided by law, whoever violates any of the provisions of this Section or commits any criminal violation of municipal ordinance or statute shall be immediately expelled from the municipal park , playground or recreational facility.
(Ord. 2013-7-61. Passed 7-10-13.)